November 24, 2011 our family joyfully doubled in size with the addition of our wonderful twins! 2+2=4

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Un Birthday

I look at the calendar and realize two things about this day... one, it's the twins unbirthday.. the 14.5 months olds I have were due today. Valentine's turned into Turkeys.
Second, this is the day one year ago that we had dr appt and Ella got put on home oxygen. We had been home such a short time!

Pedi appt that was slightly rushed because we had pulmonologist next... as soon as we got there and the nurse took Ella's oxygen levels I knew. You don't spend that long in NICU and not know what the numbers mean. Luck was on our side, slightly, pedi said if they had checked they would have had to call ambulance and get her straight to hospital, pul dr could authorize home oxygen.

I will never forget that defeated feeling... I just cried all the way to the office where we had to get oxygen stuff. Dr said she needed asap and it would take too long to get stuff delivered... so began another months long journey.

I messaged a friend, Bonnie, who'd been through this, it helped but the fact that my beautiful baby, on a day we should celebrate, was being put back on oxygen. OOOh it was hard! I cried for hours.

We finally made all the arrangement's and what was supposed to be a two hour trip turned into over 8. She didn't need much O's so could only use a short cord and the machine was massive and it only had a short cord. Plus they wanted her on monitor 24/7 that wouldn't stay on and constantly went off. A few calls from upset momma later... monitor was spot check only, extension cord on oxy machine and Chris hooked up a tow strap. Yes we are Texas!

No sleep that night but thankfully my mom came to rescue me and help out next day. A day I never want to relive, even though we did eventually adjust, our fantastic nanny Brooke didn't quit on us, and my cousin Lori liked that horrible machine bc it was warm and the noise made her sleep better.

But I write this as the twins are covering themselves in pasta and meatballs, they love! Ella has a scabby nose and Paige has what might turn into black eye because they are ALL OVER the place. Dr. asked what they might have fallen on to get bumps and I asked how long a list you want? They are happy, and full of life!  And life is good! I'm tempted to let them have Girl Scout cookies to celebrate... but then I'd have to share, so probably not. lol

1 comment: